Sunday, March 27, 2011

More update on Katie Marie

We're home from the hospital. They were waiting to see whether she could keep down solid food. She requested an egg sandwich and after 12 hours of not throwing up (around 2pm today) they let her try solids. She was HUNGRY and ate the whole egg sandwhich. We then took her on a little walk down the hall after which they decided she looked improved enough to discharge us from the hospital if we wanted to. I was desperate to get to my own bed and so quickly agreed. Katie Marie has 3 different follow up appointments that we need to schedule with 3 different doctors in the next 2 months. She is still being given Tylenol and is sleeping a lot. She primarily needs rest and minimal stimulation. She isn't supposed to run or do any rough type of activities for 6 weeks. I don't remember whether I actually gave a name to what they told us that Katie Marie experienced, but because there was no internal bleeding on the brain or major swelling, they called it a minor traumatic brain injury. Even though it's minor, it's still a very very big deal. She has made an incredibly fast recovery and we're sure all the prayers and fasts for her have helped that out a lot. We won't know if there is any more permanent hearing loss for another 6 wks., because of the fracture that went completely through her right ear bone, but she can hear us fairly well so we think it will be minimal if any. We are so grateful for the miracle that this has been in our lives.


It has been very therapeutic for me to talk about what happened. It's easier to talk about it than think about it. I can't tell you how scary it is to see your child laying on the floor, crushed by a huge dresser and not know whether or not they are alive. Randy hasn't experienced that because of the timing when he showed up. He'll probably post his version of the story later, because it is very different from my own, but for right now we are exhausted. The girls will be sleeping on separate mattresses in our bedroom with us for at least tonight (maybe longer). I think I may need to see a chiropractor this week. My hips and back are hurting like no other. Lifting that armoir, jumping up and down and bending over every time Katie Marie has had to go to the bathroom, or throw up, or get a drink of water, or to call the nurse, etc. Thanks to ward and family we are being taken care of. And thanks to the many prayers in our behalf. I'm just amazed and grateful that this baby hasn't decided to come already.


Random thought: Katie Marie and I can't wait for "Tangled" to come out. While we were at the hospital the technician/nurse called her "Katie" and Katie Marie started to say, "no, no" the nurse then corrected herself and said, "oh it's Katie Marie, I forgot." But Katie Marie said, "actually my mom calls me Rapunzel." Funny girl!!!

5 comments:

vandi said...

oh Brittany. I am so sorry that all of this happened. How traumatic and horrifying. I am so happy that katie marie is ok. What a precious little girl. I'm so glad everything has worked out the way it has so far. We'll be praying and thinking of you guys! Thanks for all the updates.

sheena said...

Oh my. I am so sorry. This has broken our hearts, mine and Daniel's. I can't imagine. I am so very glad that Katie Marie is doing so well. She and you guys, have been in our prayers since Saturday night when I happen to peek at my blogs and saw "Emergency." Thanks for all the updates. You all will continue to be in our prayers.

Karla said...

I am not sure if you have already or not, but putting a sign on your door requesting no visitors, unless arranged previously. Maybe that would seem rude too? I am glad that you guys are home. Amber keeps asking how Katie Marie is. I heard many other kids from primary ask too. Hope your back and hips get to feeling better!

The Stoddard's said...

I can't tell you how sick I felt when I heard. I am so happy that she is home and we continue to pray for our sweet Katie Marie. Tell her her primary loves her!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad she's doing so well... I can't imagine the alternative. I've been praying and praying and praying for you guys. Thanks for continuing to update us. Good luck in (all of your) recovery!