Saturday, March 26, 2011

Emergency

Katie Marie was life flighted to THE hospital this morning. Here is the story:

Randy was gone early this morning to run a few errands and go grocery shopping. Around 8ish I was still asleep in bed when I heard a huge crash. Normally, as a parent, I listen for the scream that comes afterwards (or if I don't hear a scream, I assume everyone is probably okay, thank goodness I didn't think that this time). The crash was big enough that I jumped out of bed and ran into the girls room, where I saw the armoir (solid wood dresser probably 200lbs. at least) laying on the floor. I saw Belinda sitting on her bed (thank goodness), but I didn't see Katie Marie. I immediately realized that she was underneath the armoir, but I couldn't see her. Me and my strong 9 month pregnant self lifted that 200+ lb. armoir off of Katie Marie and saw that Katie Marie was not moving (I'm sure you can imagine what my initial thought was). I started yelling for someone to call 911, but realizing Belinda was the only other one home. I tried several times to scoot the armoir over. It was really hard, thanks to adrenaline and probably some guardian angels (thanks Papa) I was able to move the armoir over enough so that it wasn't going to fall back on Katie Marie or onto Belinda. I then ran out of the room to grab my cell phone which thankfully was right by my bedside and I didn't have to go searching through the house to find it. Thankfully, as I was calling 911 Katie Marie started to stir and wake up and scream out periodically. Randy then thankfully came home. Katie Marie was bleeding out of her ear, nose and was vomiting blood. I'm sure Randy would say that thankfully I have emergency response training and knew not to move Katie Marie and that I needed to keep her awake. The police officer showed up first and then the medical personnel and ambulance showed up. Randy was able to give her a quick blessing before the medical personnel arrived. Thank you for the priesthood. Katie Marie kept trying to close her eyes and fall asleep, but I kept telling her she HAD to keep her eyes open. Thankfully we have an obedient child. I was able to quickly get dressed while they were assessing her and then Randy grabbed my shoes for me as I went out to the ambulance with them. The EMT's called a helicopter which landed in the park by our house. Katie Marie was hooked up to IV's and monitors and was life flighted to the best hospital around (not the closest). As the helicoptor flew off that is when I started crying. Randy and I were pretty much both in shock up until this point. To give you an idea, Randy didn't know what to do with himself and so while I was out with the ambulance and helicoptor he was with Belinda putting away groceries and trying to clean up the blood all over the floor (that's what you call shock). Until our neighbor took Belinda and told him to get out there with us. It's been a pretty emotional day for us and you never really know how you're going to react in a situation like this until your put in it. Randy and I then drove as safely as possible to the hospital (we had quite a few ward members there to send us off and clean up the house, get Belinda taken care of, more groceries put away, and such. We are so thankful for everyone's help).

When we got to the hospital Katie Marie had already had her CT scan of her head. She has two small fractures in her skull behind her ears, but no swelling or internal bleeding (thankfully). We are still waiting results on her x-ray of her neck. The neck brace she has to wear in the meantime is Katie Marie's biggest complaint. Because of her head injury stimulation is supposed to be kept at a minimum and Katie Marie can now sleep as much as she feels she wants to. They do wake her up every 2 hours to make sure she is still responsive. She is on a clear liquid diet, but doesn't have too much of an appetite (she is still throwing up blood). Right now I am just thankful to be listening to my sweet little 4 year old snore. She will be kept overnight in the hospital and hopefully will be well enough to go home tomorrow, but we don't really know for sure all of the details at this point. We thankfully have the most amazing ward. The relief society president collected a bunch of items at our house for us and sent the primary president up to give it us (thank you). Katie Marie was very excited to see her green blankie!!! When we first arrived at the hospital the bishop was already here waiting for us (he just happened to be up in the area). He went and got us breakfast and stayed with us for the initial information download (thank you).






At this point everything is okay and my parents who were 4 hours away on a vacation have been driving here all day (thankfully it was the last day of their trip anyway). They will pick up Belinda for us and a few other items we may need and bring us dinner. We're just playing the waiting game right now. Everything seems to be good for right now. I've been trying not to replay the events in my mind too much, but I have been unable to help myself and have been crying on and off all day. I'm just so thankful that everything turned out the way it did and that the "what ifs" aren't because of something that didn't happen just right. What if I didn't hear the crash, what if I didn't run in there immediately, what if Belinda had decided to join Katie Marie in the climb, or if it had been Belinda (the smaller child), what if I wasn't able to move the armoir, what if I couldn't find my phone, what if she hadn't woken up, etc. etc. I am so thankful to my Heavenly Father for keeping both of my girls safe. SO THANKFUL!!! Thanks to all of those who have been praying for us and please continue to pray for Katie Marie. She really needs it. Also, please pray I won't go into labor this week. That is the last thing I want to be doing right now. I just want to make sure my 4 yr. old baby is safe and good before I have to focus on the new one. Next week would be much better timing for me.

10 comments:

Tawny said...

I'm so glad you posted this. Thanks for the update. I was so concerned when I heard. Katie Marie is a strong girl (like her momma!). We're praying for her and all of you. Please know we are happy to help with anything: dinners, playing with Belinda, errends, visits to the hospital, cleaning, yardwork, ANYTHING ANYTHING. After tonight I don't work again until Wed, so I'm available to help. Let us bring you dinner on a night(s) that works for you, and please let us help if you need it. Just say the word! I'll be checking back with you too.

You have such a good attitude. We love you all.

(P.S. Maybe Baby Alvin helped you lift from inside! Way to go buddy!)

Cristie Jensen said...

Glad I read your post. At times like these it is nice to know the gospel and to have a husband or friends that can help out in careing or giving blessings to those in need. I called david and work and we have Fast Sunday tomorrow. She will be in our prayers and our fast tomorrow. Give her lots of hugs and kisses to her for us. Hope all continues to go well and she imporves quickly.

Ju said...

She is in our thoughts and prayers, as are all of you. I hope recovery goes quickly for her. Love you guys.

Gena said...

Oh my goodness Brittney! I will keep your sweet little Katie Marie in my prayers most definitely. You are so strong to through this and be so positive! I hope so much that little Alvin holds off a week! Wish I was closer to help with anything, but know you are definitely in our thoughts and prayers!!!

Jill said...

Brittany, we have been thinking about you and your family all day yesterday and first thing this morning. What a scary experience. I can't even imagine! You are in our prayers and our fasting.

There most certainly were (are) some tender mercies in this experience. Someone was watching over Katie Marie and the rest of you. Thanks for posting this story. Please keep us up to date because we are very concerned for everyone.

I'm sure Katie will be just fine. Keep that baby in for a while longer, if possible.

Love you all!

Belinda said...

I cried all over again reading this. You are a strong person. You handle these situations much better than I know I would. We are a living witness of a modern day miracle. Love you hunny.

Carrie said...

oh my goodness, brittney! i just can't even imagine! you seem to have handled it in the best way possible. i'm not so sure i would have. i'm so so glad that you were able to do things just right and get her taken care of promptly. we'll be praying for you and her!

The Crebs Family said...

Wow! You are amazing for going through that. And Katie Marie, my heart breaks for her. I was about that age when I fractured my skull and was in the hospital for a week. I know so well what she is going through. I hope the best for her. I was lucky and have no permanent damage (some may argue that :) However, things work out, and even at a young age she is soaking it all in and will remember the priesthood and the love that she felt. You are all in our prayers, and I am glad you all get to be home together.

AshleyK said...

Love you! You are in our prayers. We spent Saturday securing all of our large furniture to the wall and telling Eliza not to climb up anything.

I'm sorry you had to experience this, but I'm very grateful it wasn't any worse.

The Lord watches over us - especially His little ones.

Marly said...

Wow, I'm seriously so sorry! I do the same thing, wait until a cry but when things are bad you can get the 'get up anyway' and go save your babies.
I wish I had known and I totally would have brought you guys food and company at the hospital. I'm glad she's home and so far the baby is still in :-)