Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Miracles

If anyone has any doubts of modern day miracles, Katie Marie is a witness that miracles really do happen. There has been one miracle after another throughout this whole experience. I realize that not everyone is blessed with such positive outcomes in situations like this and that sometimes the greatest trial is accepting the Lord's will, but I feel so blessed to be able to see so many miracles.

  • That I was in the house and heard the armoire fall.

  • Belinda was out of the way of the armoire and didn't get pinned under it with Katie Marie.

  • The armoire wasn't any taller than it was, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to open the bedroom door.

  • That I was able (regardless of being hugely pregnant) to lift the armoire off of Katie Marie (it took several guys to move it to where it was in the first place).

  • That my cell phone was charged and easy to find.

  • That Katie Marie woke up and was still alive.

  • That I was the first responder and knew what to do.

  • That Randy showed up shortly after to give Katie Marie a Priesthood blessing and open the door for the officer and medical personnel.

  • That I was able to get Katie Marie to keep her eyes open, even though she wanted to go to sleep SO badly and kept trying to slip into unconsciousness.

  • That there are competent medical personnel and that there are ambulances, helicopters and other tools like monitors, and IV's that help when people are injured.

  • That we live in a great neighborhood and ward where people are so willing to help (watching Belinda, bring dinners, drive stuff up to the hospital, pick up our house, put away groceries, bring Katie Marie cards and fun things to show her their love, the list goes on and on and on). We feel truly blessed.

  • That so many people were praying and fasting for Katie Marie.

  • That we were able to make it to the hospital safely.

  • That there was no major bleeding or swelling on her brain.

  • That her neck x-ray's were cleared and that there were no breaks on the neck.

  • That my family showed up that evening and picked up more stuff from our house and picked up Belinda, came to visit us in the hospital.

  • That she was responsive and able to converse.

  • That she stopped throwing up blood about 18 hours later.

  • That she was able to keep solid food down 30 hours after the accident.

  • That she was able to walk and had no other broken bones.

  • That we were discharged from the hospital after only one night.

  • That I didn't go into labor and still haven't!!!

  • That we now know why it is so important to bolt everything to our walls.

  • That after 2 days of being home Katie Marie is acting like her normal, chipper, chatty self and really wants to play and act completely normal (unfortunately she is not supposed to run or jump, etc. for six weeks because although she may feel well, her skull will not be completely healed until then).

  • She has been able to enjoy some quiet play time with her uncles and sister.

Playing Doctor

Rapunzel
Can you just see how miraculous this experience is. Coincidences only go so far, but miracles are endless and eternal. The Priesthood power is real. Prayers really do work and get answered. Fasting is powerful.


Belinda and I have been experiencing a little bit of post traumatic stress. The last two nights Belinda has woken up a few times and one of those nights she said, "fall, no!" I've also been experiencing a little bit of flashbacks and last night when the kitchen chair fell back onto the floor with Belinda on it, we both started bawling. I handled Katie Marie's situation much better than the little fall Belinda had. I'm basically completely paranoid right now. We have a few new rules in our house like no children are allowed downstairs until we get our basement finished (a few years away) because of all the unbolted things that could potentially fall down there. Overall we are doing remarkably well. Thanks to my wonderful mother who has been tirelessly doing laundry, organizing, cleaning and nesting for me. I don't know what I would do without her. She has been an angel here on earth during this whole experience as have so many others. We feel so loved. Thank you all for your prayers and fasting that have contributed to this miracle in our lives. We love you all.

3 comments:

vandi said...

That's awesome Brittany. It's so neat to be able to look back and see how everything worked out just so. That's hard about the post traumatic stress, but it makes complete sense. Even I have a hard time thinking about what happened to Katie Marie.

Good luck with everything, especially with the baby coming soon.

Tawny said...

Hi! I check theses about as soon as they come out...but usually I check them on my ipod, and I can't comment! It's fun to see Katie Marie doing so well. She'll be right as rain before we know it!
P.S. Did you make it to Sunday???

Winters Outloud said...

I have been thinking about you lately. It is my first time checking your blog in about a month~ and what a month it has been for you! I am praying for you. Please let me know if there is anything you need. I am so sorry you lost your sweet grandpa. I know that he meant a great deal to you. And I am so relieved Katie Marie is alright. May those miracles keep occurring as you move forward and as you have this little boy! Please email me your address- I would love to come and see you! carenwinters@yahoo.com