Does anyone else feel like my blog postings have been one funeral...

after hospital stay...
after hospital stay...
after hospital stay?

Okay so technically those last two were connected, sort of! In case you couldn't tell from the picture, Alvin was also Jaundice and had to be placed under the bili lights. The morning we went to go pick him up from the hospital to take him home with us, Randy didn't recognize him because they had put him under the lights without us knowing. As a result we had to wait around all day long for the results from his jaundice test to come back at least lower than they had been that morning. It was just something else to throw into the mix of emotions we had been going through. Not only was he in the NICU but we really couldn't hold him much. Luckily, we were able to get him discharged from the hospital that evening, but he had to be on the bilibed at home too (still not much holding involved). He is off the lights now and is doing well. In fact at a follow up appointment we went to for him, we found out that he has gained 7 oz. in 4 days (discharge weight 8lb. 1 oz.- 4 days later 8lb. 8oz.). He's chugging it!!!
For your viewing pleasure, here are some pictures of the less eventful moments prior to Alvin's birth. The girls were playing doctor and pretending that the dresser had fallen on Belinda. Doesn't that sound like fun? (Sarcasm involved)!

We also were surprised to be able to "make" a new friend!

Also for your viewing pleasure, here are the pictures of Alvin's first day of life, before he was admitted to the NICU. I hope by now you can tell a difference and that it goes without saying that any really good pictures on my blog were taken by my incredibly talented sister.
We're trying to figure out what the new normal is for us right now. I just woke up from my nap to another loud CRASH (not nearly as loud as the last one). Not to worry, Katie Marie just broke a shelf in our fridge and broken glass from a salsa jar with about 5 other jars and the eggs were scattered all over the floor!!! I think I've about had it with rude wake up calls, hospitals, and the like. I sent Randy with Alvin to the hospital for the two different jaundice follow up appointments and we have about 5 more appointments in the next month for Alvin, Katie Marie and I.
Here's something I feel like sharing that's totally random: Belinda was begging me to give her a cup of milk. I looked in the fridge and saw the milk that I had to pump the night Alvin was in the hospital without us. We hadn't freezed it yet and I didn't want it to go bad, so that's what I gave her (in a sippy cup). There is something kind of weird about her drinking it. It kind of grossed me out honestly, but I don't know how it's any different than having my other child drinking it. Belinda didn't have any complaints, in fact, she asked for more.
Here are 3 random things I've learned this month:
1. Better safe than sorry or better safe than aesthetically pleasing (Bolt your furniture to the wall).
2. Be prepared. Label your phones with your address, phone # and 911 (Don't just put the info. on a fridge magnet. Honestly, are you going to want a babysitter standing at your fridge telling the dispatcher your address when your child is bleeding in the back room? Just saying.)
3. Some things are better left unsaid (enough said).
6 comments:
Alvin is a cute addition to your family. And yes, you definitely deserve to have a break from hospitals and such for now. Snuggle up on the couch with that new piece of heaven. And I am still laughing (I first read your post earlier this afternoon) at the fact that you gave Belinda your milk and that she asked for more. That is awesome!!
Hope you guys all find the new mormal. I am really glad that you got your little Alvin home even if you had to stay all day waiting for him to be cleared. He looks so tiny in that carseat, I forgot how small they are. I'm also glad you found a use for your milk. lol That is funny, I don't know if I would have even thought of it.
You sure have been through a lot in the last while, haven't you?
Oh my gosh, I just looked up. Please tell me that the Karla who commented before me is Karla (Gifford). I don't know her married name, but that's the maiden name. If so, I totally know her. She's from my hometown!
Anyway, ya, you kinda grossed me out giving Belinda that milk too. Haha, hey, you do what you gotta do, right? :) Your little boy is so sweet... and you are going to love him so much. Seriously, it's so different than girls, you've probably already figured that out.
You have been through so much. I hope settle down a bit for you and you can get back to "normal". Giving Belinda the milk was pretty funny. I bet she got some good nutrition. I loved your 3 random things you learned. Hang in there. Love you!
Oh, how I admire your family for being able to gracefully handle all you've been asked to handle lately. You are fantastic. Beautiful family, beautiful baby boy, beautiful mom, beautiful insights. You are amazing!
The adjustment to three kids is hard enough without all that extra stress. You're doing great! What a sweet little boy. Bridger had the same little outfit with the bear hat. It's adorable. Tell Randy we say hi and congratulations. Good luck with getting rest and sleep. Isn't it amazing how tired you get?! Best wishes from the Jensens!
Post a Comment