I just experienced the worst week of my life. I never want to plan another funeral under those circumstances again. I'm telling you right now, I know it sounds morbid, but if you love your family members, then you will plan your own funeral and make it beautiful. I told my husband this and he said, "just sing, 'Jesus wants me for a sunbeam' and let the bishop speak and call it good." I told him that if that is what I did, then people will think I murdered him. My mother-in-law and father-in-law said almost the same things about not making a big deal about their funerals, because it was for us, not for them. I'm telling you right now that that is NOT how it is going to happen and if you care about the loved ones you may be leaving behind, you will give them this final gift and have the following items already decided for them so that they can reminisce and mourn and not be under extreme stress and get sick over it:
- Contact list (who needs to know you passed away? Past wards, college friends, etc. The last thing you want your family to be dealing with is people calling up the house months later and asking for you and having them have to explain that you died). Oh and when you write down a phone number in your notebook, write down how you know the person.
- Program outline and people you want to do each part of the program: opening song, prayer, talks, musical numbers, closing song, prayer, pall bearers, dedication of grave, family prayer.
- Where do you want to be buried, type of casket, headstone, etc.
- Pictures for program
- Pictures for sign in book
- Pictures for displays
- Pictures for video
- Favorite colors and flowers
- Write your own obituary (it can always be edited later)
- Write your own life sketch
- Write down your testimony
My friends PLEASE do these things this week if you can. You never know when your life will be done and these things will make someone else's life so much easier.
2 comments:
I hear you Brittney and I'm going to take your advice. As morbid as it is, I'm planning my funeral.
You all did a wonderful job at your mother's funeral. It was the most powerful meeting I've ever attended. Thank you!
Love you!
Brittany, I don't know if you remember me, but I was in your ward with Bishop Orchard a long time ago. I love your blog. It is so inspiring despite all of the trials you have been through the last little while. You have so much faith and so much hope in God's plan. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I can't imagine how hard it would be to lose your mom at such a young age. I will say an extra prayer for you and your family tonight. I pray that God's greatest peace and blessings will be with you all. <3
Post a Comment