Saturday, September 1, 2012

Fairy words

So one week down and homeschooling is going well so far. I actually feel like a much better mom than I did just a week ago. Because I don't have to think up anything creative to do, it's already thought up for me in the book.  We're doing Language (the phonics portion is my least favorite subject), History and Art. The Science book hasn't arrived yet and Randy is the official math teacher (that will start next week). Another reason I feel like a better mom is that I'm actually spending one on one time with them and reading to them more, and learning together. Before, it was way too tempting to tell the kids to go play in the playroom or watch a movie so that I could have some peace and quiet or get stuff done. But now my house doesn't get nearly as messed up because they're with me the whole time doing structured stuff. AMAZING!!! Don't worry it is still a mess, but I don't feel nearly as bad about it since I still feel very productive with all the school work we accomplish each day. Poor Alvin though, he's at a not so homeschooling condusive age. He's coped though and enjoys spending some of his time playing in his crib with toys instead of napping. Luckily Belinda is getting helpful and so when Alvin is awake she can entertain him pretty well until I finish things with Katie Marie.

ANYWAY.... I've learned a few things about Katie Marie. Here's my funny story (thus the title of the post). We've been practicing sight words. THE, AND, THERE, HAVE, WAS, etc. She was having a super hard time remembering WAS and HAVE. I was getting a little frustrated and so was she. Finally in pure desperation and in an attempt to calm us both down I decided we'd have a moment to meditate. I told her to close her eyes, breathe in, breathe out, imagine you're in a forest.  Then an idea struck! Imagine there are little magical, sparkly fairies flying around the forest and you need to save them from the mean, scary monster that wants to eat them. They are all holding a special card with their name on it. They need your help Katie Marie to save them from the monster. If you can't remember their names, then the monster will eat them. Sight words are now fairies!!! And Katie Marie is now a magical helper and hero. She enjoys learning her sight words much more now. Incredible!!! I have to admit, sight words are a little less frustrating for me now too and she remembers them better. I guess this is one of the benefits to homeschooling. I know how obsessed she is with glitter, princesses, fairies, and magic stuff and I can use it to my advantage.

3 comments:

Cristie Jensen said...

Congrats on your first week, you go girl!

Ju said...

Awesome! So glad things are going well! And what a cute and creative way to help her with her sight words. Homeschool starts over her today and the kids are really looking forward to it, I'm hoping our first week goes as well as yours.

AshleyK said...

I love those moments the Lord guides us to say just what our kids need!