Saturday, July 9, 2011

Summer Fun!!!

We hit it hard each summer when it comes to swimming lessons. This is the one non-negotiable extra curricular activity that each of my kids must participate in. I'm a little paranoid when it comes to water. Actually A LOT a bit!!! I'm proud to report that Katie Marie is now jumping off the diving board and swimming across the deep end on both her stomach and her back.

We also bought sleeping bags that can zip together in preparation for some camping that we wanted to do as a family this summer. We've had a tent for a while, but no sleeping bags. So now we have no excuse for not camping.

I asked Belinda to bring me a few diapers, she came back with a whole arm load. She has also started singing recently. Her favorite that she sings over and over again (I am a child of God) "Me guide me, help me find me way."


We enjoyed a rodeo, which the girls thought was the most hilarious thing ever. Belinda kept saying, "horsey, hat fell" (commenting about how the horse would buck the cowboy and make his hat fall off).Randy built some shelves in the garage. He did an awesome job!!! Alvin still puts up with a lot from the girls in his life, and yes, he has a pink binky in his mouth.
We did end up going camping. It was a little bit miserable that night (no, it was not because of Alvin keeping us awake. In fact he got more sleep than any of us). We got there late, we were tired, hungry, the girls were screaming because of the bugs, we couldn't find a campsite for a while, we finally did but it was full of tunnels and holes in the ground. We moved campsites, had a wet fire pit, couldn't start a fire, were eating cold hot dogs, saw a moose (which scared me and I made the kids get in the car till it left), moved our tent closer to the car after it was already dark, and spent all night listening for the sound of bears (several large animals walked past our tent, but we didn't check to see what it was. I like to think it was just deer). Belinda wanted to sleep in the car that night. I didn't really blame her and kind of wanted to sleep in the car myself, but we stuck it out and the next day was so much better!!! Bless Katie Marie's heart she was the only one of us with a positive attitude (her and Alvin). That night as she was sitting in the dark eating a cold hot dog while daddy was trying to get the fire started she said, "I LOVE camping!!!"

I'm sure you can guess all those camping pictures were from the next, more pleasant day!!! After we got home around 1pm that day we unloaded the car and I took a nap around 3pm and slept till 11pm. I woke up for an hour and slept all night. I was exhausted!!! In case anyone is wondering, I did grow up camping and loving the outdoors, but there is something different about being out in the wild with no other human life other than your tiny, young family whom you are responsible to take care of. The kids (especially Katie Marie) loved us for taking them camping. We will continue doing it in the future. I'm sure it will be more pleasant the next time around.


Other interesting stuff:


  • We all watched a rooster get it's head chopped off and then gutted (ugh)!!! Belinda said, "roo, head broke."

  • We're also super excited about starting an adventure exchange with Katie Marie's cousin to make history fun!! We will be going on historical adventures and sending each other postcards to learn about different places in our country and world. In a few years we'll start doing it with Belinda too. If anyone is interested in having their child be Belinda's pen pal in a few years let me know:)!!!

  • Alvin was blessed in June by his daddy!!!

  • Randy has a second job so we sadly don't get to see him as often, but we enjoy the moments we do.

  • I started working out with some ladies in my area. A lady in my ward has a studio in her basement and they teach all sorts of classes (Zumba, Plyometrics, Pilates, Body Sculpt, etc.). It's a good way for me to stay motivated to excercise.

  • Oh and Katie Marie has also started taking Ballet!!!

All in all, we're a busy bunch this summer!!!


4 comments:

Angela said...

Oh it makes me happy to see you with your cute family of 5 now! That is so much fun! Glad you are having a really fun summer! Love ya tons!

Scott & Annedria said...

Looks like you guys are having a great summer. I love and grew up camping all the time also and it is a little different when you are in charge of a little family. It'll get funner when they get a little bigger I'm sure!! Love you guys!

Cristie Jensen said...

Looks like you all had loads of fun. Saw a Red SUV in the background of your camping picture, did you finally get a bigger vehicle? Thanks for sharing

Belinda said...

It sure is fun looking at the pictures of your loads of fun this summer. You loved camping when you were little. Way to go Katie Marie for having a great attitude.