Friday, January 28, 2011

January NEWs

It has been a pretty eventful year already. Randy shaved his beard off on January 2nd.
Here is how he got from this:
to this:
We woke the girls up bright and early because we wanted them to watch him shave it all off so they would recognize him and not act shy around him. After all it had been about 4 months since they had seen him completely clean shaven. They thought it was the funnest thing ever to watch him shave it off. Katie Marie was super helpful and told him any time he needed to brush off the hair from his shoulders. Belinda just laughed!!!


Step 1:
Step 2:
Step 3:
Step 4:
Step 5:
Step 6:
Step 7:
Step 8: With sideburns
After shaving off the sideburns he looked just like the hansome guy that I married. I'm glad the beard is gone now!!! Katie Marie told Daddy after he shaved off his beard, "You have a girl face."
January is our "Winter Adventure Month." Randy started it off by building a castle for the girls to play in.


My sister came and visited and we were able to get the only set of prego pictures of the two of us before she delivered her baby. Randy and I now have 2 new nephews. Both of them were born early (3 1/2 wks. early and 2 1/2 wks. early). I think it would be so weird to go that early on my own, but I can guarantee I'll be lucky if I don't go a week over due like I did with Belinda. But not to confuse you all since I know this picture makes it look like we are due at the same time, but no, my sister is a couple months farther along in her pregnancy. Baby Alvin still needs to cook a little while longer inside of me, but I'm definitely in the final "stretch" of the pregnancy.
Randy also spent at least 4 hours one evening trying to give our dog Ginger a hair cut. We didn't want to have to pay the money to get it done professionally, but after Randy gave up trying to use a razor and started hacking away at her hair with a pair of scissors and didn't get to bed till 1am, I think he finally decided it's worth the money to take her in. We've officially learned our lesson and will either take her to a groomer or a sheep shearing farm in the future!!!

After all was said and done she looked a tad bit like she got in a fight with a pair of scissors, but at least she can see and doesn't have a load full of hair covering her face.
Randy also got a pair of glasses. He has a rare eye problem called Keratoconus. It only affects one of his eyes really bad (he can luckily still pass a driver's test without glasses), but he does have it in both eyes. Because of it he also is near sighted in the opposite eye as the one with the Keratoconus really bad. So the glasses help solve the near sighted problem, but don't do much for the Keratoconus. There is no surgery that he is a candidate for that will fix the Keratoconus until he basically goes blind and then he'll have to have a corneal transplant, but until then the only thing they can do is put a hard contact in the eye that has it really bad (soft contacts only make things worse). Because of the $$$ involved we decided to wait on the contacts and just get the glasses for now to help with the near sightedness. Randy has been super impressed with the difference just the glasses have made in helping him to see better even though he still has fuzzy vision in one of his eyes.
We had another really fun adventure this month. We went on a bear hunt, roasted marshmallows and the girls camped out in the living room. Last year we set up the big tent and we all camped out together, but I didn't really feel like sleeping on the floor so the girls just camped out together and Randy and I slept in our own bed.
"Oh no, a river...Can't go over it, can't go under it... Oh no! We've got to go through it!"
"Mud...Can't go over it, can't go under it...Oh no! We've got to go through it!"
Going down to the cave!!!
"IT'S A BEAR!!!!"
Roasting marshmallows.



Belinda had some seriously static hair last night!!!

Before the girls went to bed last night, Katie Marie read Belinda a book!!! Isn't that the cutest thing ever?

So far the NEW stuff for this year include:

  • new nephews
  • new glasses
  • new hair cuts:)
  • and an early b-day present from Randy to me (pots and pans) so that he can cook me up more culinary masterpieces!!!

Funny Quotes include:

KM: "If someone knocks on our door it will be a stranger. Or if it's a wolf, it will blow our house or something."

KM: "I don't think I know what name I'm going to name my husband when I grow up."

KM: "Guess What? Everybody is going to be so excited for me to grow up!"

KM: "Dad did you go play soccer ball? Because you have socks on." (I guess socks and soccer sound a lot a like and so that's what socks should be for, right?)

Belinda: It was bedtime and Daddy and Belinda were searching around the house trying to find Belinda's stuffed animal Kubali. Daddy kept calling, "Kubali, Kubali, where are you?" Belinda followed Daddy around the house saying, "Bobby, Bobby."

Belinda: After I give Belinda food or something, expecting her to say thank you I ask her, "what do you say?" and she always answers, "Pea (please)."

5 comments:

Natalie said...

I love the pictures and the recap! Such fun ideas to do with your kids---love it. I remember when Joe grew a beard and how relieved I was when he cut his--he was so much more handsome and kissable :)

Cristie Jensen said...

I'm glad to see that my brother is back, and looking quite handsome again :). Love to hear about your activites with the kids those are good ideas.

Anonymous said...

I love the picture recap! It's like, "Randy through time and space!" :-) He looks like he's time travelling. You've got a good, full beard from the ancient days, or the 1800's. Then you've got the serious mutton chop action of the early 1900's. Then you've got groovy 60's mustache. Next comes the thick 70's mustache, followed by the trimmer 80's mustache. And then, you've got the "grunge" 90's scruff going on. And then, after a haircut, you've got Randy circa 2011. I like it! And smart move having the girls watch. That would have been quite a shock to see him go straight from Noah's days to now. What a fun photo-story!

Stan said...

This was a fun post to read. Loved the ceremonial hair cutting session. I bet that was fun for the girls to watch. That castle was quite impressive that Randy created. What funs times and memories your having with your girls.

Karla said...

Man, me and Rob cracked up at the different stages of the shave and a hair cut. We were talking the other day how in a meeting I was looking at him and wondering who he was. Then I realized he was back to his normal self, less hair.