Friday, June 1, 2012

Soak in the moments of our lives

So I was watching the movie Soul Surfer one day and it started me thinking about the kind of mom I want to be and family I want to have. What inspires me and motivates me? What are my passions in life? How do I support my kids and teach my kids to support and love each other? After a lot of consideration I came to the conclusion that I needed to change a lot of areas of my life in order to be the kind of mother I want to be. I don't want my kids to remember me as the mom who sits at the computer all day every day. I want to be more productive with my time and spend more of it with my kids. Even if it's just simply talking with them. We don't have T.V. so that wasn't really a problem. My problem ironically enough is e-mail and blogging. I don't really facebook, but I do enjoy pinterest. I would usually wake up and check my blog and e-mail before and during breakfast, sometime between breakfast and lunch, during lunch and a few other times throughout the day. I realized that I was wasting valuable time that I could be spending with my children and becoming the type of homemaker I want to be. It was just a bad habit that I had gotten myself into. I also checked the news online frequently. I didn't realize how much time I was wasting until this last Wednesday when I woke up at 6:30am before the kids did and decided it was the perfect time to check e-mail and stuff. I ended up doing 3 things: checking e-mail (only read about 3-4 messages), downloaded my pictures onto my computer and organized them into files, and checked 4 blogs. Guess how much time I spent. I didn't get done till 7:45am. My kids had been awake for 45 minutes of that time. I decided that in order to change my ways I have to do something differently (obviously) so I decided that because Friday is movie day at our house, then I will use that day to get the things online that I need to get done, done. So this means, I absolutely will NOT be checking blogs, e-mails, facebook or anything else online during the week. Sorry if you can't get a hold of us as easily anymore, but I realized that I need to realign my focus on improving myself and family and then and only then can I begin branching out to the world around me. I might not know what is going on in the news, media, sports, or other things, but I am determined to know what is going on in the lives of my children and those whom I can directly influence. I want to talk with them more, read to them more, play with them more, soak in every moment I can before they grow up and these moments are gone forever.









2 comments:

Scott & Annedria said...

It's so true, sometimes I find myself online way to much also. Thanks for your inspirational words. I too want to be more involved with what is going on in the lives of my children. Lucky for me both my boys still nap so I try to use that time to be online, but sometimes I am online when I could be playing with them. Thanks for the reminder Brittany

Gena said...

I think as mothers this is something we all have to figure out and learn to balance (over and over again!) I am constantly setting new rules for myself to help limit myself and be the best mother/wife I want to be. I think things like blogging, Pinterest, etc. is our outlet a lot of the time, as we are home with our children all day, and it's not a bad thing to do, it's just the managing of our time and not letting it control us. It's crazy how when gone unchecked it's almost like an addiction, well I'd say it is. Good for you for being aware of it and wanting to make a change. I hope it goes well for you and you notice even more the sweet little moments in your family life.